Building Department

Building Department Online Permit Process is now live (Cloud Permit)

All permits must be submitted via Cloud Permit. 


How to Submit a Building Permit Tutorial:


Regulations and Standards

Current Applicable Codes:

  • 2018 International Residential Code for residential one- and two-family houses and their accessory structures
  • 2018 International Building Code for all other buildings and structures
  • 2018 International Plumbing Code as adopted by the New Hampshire Plumbing Board
  • NFPA 70: National Electric Code 2020

Climate and Design Criteria for All Structures

  • Ground snow load is 60 psf
  • Wind speed is 115 mph
  • Frost line depth is 4 ft

Structure Setback Requirements in all Zoning Districts

  • Front lot line to structure is 30 feet (a front lot line is any lot line that abuts a street)
  • Side lot line setback to structure is 15 ft.
  • Rear lot line setback to structure is 15 ft.
  • Structure setback to poorly drained soils (wetlands) 50 feet

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What do you need to get a building permit for?

A: Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by these codes. 

 A swimming pool requires a building permit – a swimming pool is defined as “Any structure intended for swimming or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches deep. This includes in-ground, aboveground and on-ground pools, hot tubs and spas.”

All utility garden storage sheds over 100 square feet require a building permit. If under 100 square feet no permit is required but must adhere to setbacks.

Gas piping – the installation or addition to gas piping.

New or replacement furnaces, whether gas or oil require a fire department permit.

Septic system repairs and replacements both In-Kind and new designs require local building permits. Test pits are not currently observed by the local inspector.

What work is exempt from requiring a building permit?

  • Fences
  • Sidewalks and paving or repaving a driveway.
  • Retaining walls not over 4 feet high.
  • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, replacing countertops and similar finish work.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to a one- or two-family house.
  • Minor electric repairs and maintenance including replacement of lamps or the connection of approved electrical equipment to approved permanently installed receptacles.
  • Minor plumbing repairs and maintenance including stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipes; provided, however that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove and replace the same with new material, such work will be considered as new work and a permit shall be obtained and inspection made as provided in the code. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves, or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not involve or require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Emergency Repairs

  • Where equipment replacements and repairs must be performed in an emergency, the permit application shall be submitted within the next working business day.

Staff Contacts

Name Title Phone
Steve Sacherski Building Official (603) 673-8855 ext. 6